Thursday, September 11, 2014

9/11 - My Glitter Glue

I have been sitting here trying to think about how I would write this post for today...

As you and I get to know each other, you may find that I am a bit rough around the edges, and not really overly sentimental, so a lot of this "feeling" and "gushy" stuff is not on my "to do list of fun things to try today". But I will begin with a obligatory disclaimer:

I was born and raised in the United States.  I love my country, I am proud to be a citizen of this great nation.  Oh yes, we are confused, oh yes, we bicker among ourselves, our guns control, health insurance, big business and our politics can be infuriating but I still love it.  Oh yes, I have been to other places ;),  (thanks for asking). Oh.. I also love that I can live in a country where I cannot get fired for my opinion on 9/11 (well not in my job anyway).. ---inserting that last comment cause my non american husband actually had the fear that I would say something that would get me fired.. sigh.

I could have written something sappy about where I was, and how I felt and the fear I felt on 9/11. I could write about how I watched my country stand up together, fly flags, give blood, offer to help, and attend vigils. I could talk about how frustrating it is when I hear about teens that don't know anything about 9/11 (I wonder if my grandfather felt that way about us when the date of Pearl Harbor's attack came around each year.) I could talk about how I want to punch someone in the face when they say it never happened or that the government planned it ... (this is my official statement to those that think that.. YOU. ARE. FULL. OF. CRAP!).

So instead, since the 13 year have passed, I will talk about how I feel today and what my observations are (yes I know that yours could quite possibly be different).

My husband is Canadian and he and I have talked about this event many times over the years (including today) and it is interesting to hear his perspective on Americans and 9/11.  So based on some of those things, I would like to break down the "American."

#1.  We are Americans.. simply put.. that is what we identify with.. after 9/11 you could find us standing shoulder to shoulder ready to beat down the world, now... many stand shoulder to shoulder at the border, and many other stand in opposition so little children will not cross illegally.

#2.  We love NY. Well, in theory, but not really. New York scares the bejesus out of me.  When I drive through the city my knuckles are white and the fear of getting lost makes me hold me breath till I exit on the other side. Many Americans have never been to New York, but we have watched the ball drop on TV with Dick Clark (God rest his soul).  But, I'll be damned if anyone says anything bad about NY, cause you will find millions of Americans sporting an I<3 NY t-shirt within the hour!!! Cause.. we love our country.

#3.  I would seriously doubt that 9/11 could take place again this country.  Every time I get on a plane you can FEEL the passengers marking their area with glances and corner eye shifts.  Oh yeh, we may be all Americans on that plane, but try anything and we are ALL taking your A$$ DOWN!...

#4. We really are a polite bunch of people.  Oh, some of know which fork to use and others have yet to figure out the whole glass dish thing, but hey, we are a pretty nice bunch of people.  Did I mention that I have been in other countries?  Have I mentioned that although some places think that we are rude, that many of the things said about our country and the "lumping of us" together as an uneducated, uncivilized people and barbaric people... well.... I leave that to people that really don't know anything about the people in our country, and get their information from Fox or CNN news.  However, we are the first people the will come to when they know they need muscle and a big stick.

#5.  We are pretty patriotic.  Cause you know, we love our country...  We are proud, we know we are influential, we know we are strong and unless you live in a bubble , you as an American, even know we are not perfect.  If you think you are.. well.. we love you anyway, but would strongly recommend traveling a little.

#6. We don't like being afraid. Everything we do as Americans is to DECREASE our fear.  We see fear as weakness. From fighting for our healthcare preference, our gun control, our pot, our sexuality, our religion, our education even the job that we go to everyday, is about security. It is about reducing our fear, and when we are afraid.. well, did I mention that Americans don't like being afraid.. We were scared on 9/11 and heartbroken... and that made us a little mad... ;)

#7. Never underestimate us.  we may argue, we may say stupid things (have you read the Facebook posts lately.. smh) and we sometimes don't paint a pretty good picture of American life and what being an  "American" really means.  We have a lot of growing up to do. A lot, and sometimes, our fellow Americans decide that they have had enough and leave the country.. and you know what, that's cool too.  We have police corruptions, we have illegal activities, we have problems with guns, animal overpopulation, education issues, vaccination and childhood diseases reemerging, (*yes I am pro vaccination... be responsible get your child vaccinated) abortion debates and STAND BACK everyone when there is an election cause American politicians can LIE really well.  But we don't forget.. ever.. 

We remember, and today many of us remember,  And ALL of us have a I <3 NY shirt and a big A$$ stick tucked away in a closet...

But hey, that's just my glitter glue.

No comments:

Post a Comment