Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Crafty crafts from an Uncrafty mom!

I hate Pintrest, honestly, I don't get it. I mean, I think there are some cool CRAFTY things, but you are reading a blog of an uncrafty person!  Have you ever looked at those "nailed it" pictures?  I feel like someone has been taking pictures of the disasters I have created in my home and posted it all over the internet!!

However, I do have a Button, she needs to create, so I try to pick easy crafty things and pray that she does not start comparing my work to other amazing mamas that can do that stuff.   This year, we will be traveling around Halloween. Halloween is one of my favorite "holidays".  This post is not going to be my glitter glue on Halloween (that will be later) but instead, I wanted to show you a fun little project that we actually succeeded in doing!!

Jack-o-lanterns are AWESOME and a PAIN!!  I am never good at taking them down when they have started to rot, and that makes quite the mess on our porch.. So this year we are making Fairy House Jack-o-lanterns.. with a twist of "fake". Button is ALL INTO fairies right now, and this was good for me, because it made an easy and fun crafty project that would make mom look REALLY cool :)!!

We purchased fake Pumpkins from Michaels (50% off woo hoo)
A bundle of grapevines (4.99 with a 50% coupon for a regular price item)
Glitter (my love hate thing) (.99 each .. we bought two.. that is all I could handle.. glitter.. shudder)
And pretty little beads (.99!!)
Fake tea lights (2.99 for a set of 6)

You are also going to need a glue gun and a little saw/knife to make the holes in the Pumpkins

Each pumpkin needs a hole in the front (for a door) and two side windows


Voila!!  So far so good!!
Here is another pictures of all the materials


We did this project on a table cloth so that we could catch all the glitter.. This has a two fold bonus. One, it saves me from having glitter everywhere (in theory, not reality) and whatever glitter it catches, we shake off outside and tell Button that is so that the Fairies will have a trail to follow to the fairy houses... Don't judge.

Next we put hot glue all over the tops (Bonus is that even if it is kinda stringy.. I can say that it mimics spiderwebs that apparently OUR fairies love .. at least the ones I tell her live around here)  Next Button sprinkled the glitter on the tops.. (HOW does seem to get everywhere!! I had some in my breakfast this morning!!!)


Next we broke the grapevine in order to make a ladder and glued the "rungs" to the ladder with hot glue.  Button then embellished them with jewels (cause everyone knows that nothing makes you want to climb a ladder like knowing that there is a little bling involved).




Then make the window Pains.. No I didn't spell that wrong, it is a PAIN.. after making two, I got lazy and threw something on the windows.. (maybe that is why my crafts don't look right.. anyway).. Button then embellished them with jewels.. that made them look much better...


Prop up the ladder and YAY Fairy houses!!


We then put a battery powered tea light and each one.. fire in fake pumpkins.. is a BIG no no.. (where I then made a vain attempt to catch the coolness of how it looked.. )




Looks inviting!! Who wouldn't want to live there!! I mean.. if they were a fairy!




  We put the pumpkins on the mantle for the fairies (to look neat.. well.. yes and no.. but we actually put them there cause that is the easiest way for me to decorate and so that her baby brother doesn't get into them and cause her to throw a horrible hissy hit where she screams like a injured banshee and her brother starts pretending like he is training for the UFC.. yes it happens).




All in all it was pretty cool.. and fairly easy.. although there is glitter in the corner of my eyes and I swear I ingested more than the suggested amount.

So, I guess it is a win! Button is happy, and I got away with looking like I knew what I was doing.. at least this time around.


But hey, that is just my glitter glue.

1 comment: